Tuesday 8 November 2016

Earth/Mother

©2016 by Mary Saracino

You are gone now
Ashes tucked into the earth
Compost for future flowers, trees
Seeds of all kinds and number
Like the seeds you tended in me
Mother the ache
I feel remains unanswered
You have hollowed me out
Left a cave of
Longing inside me
For the touch of your hand
The sound of your voice
The scent of your skin
I will carry this
Umbilical memory
With me all the days of my life
This now motherless-daughter
Will remember, always remember
The goodness of you

* * * * *

Mary Saracino is a novelist, poet, and memoir-writer who lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Her most recent novel, Heretics: A Love Story, was published in 2014 by Pearlsong Press. She Is Everywhere! Volume 3, the anthology she co-edited with Mary Beth Moser, was awarded the 2013 Enheduanna Award for Excellence in Women-Centered Literature from Sofia University, Palo Alto, CA. Mary’s novel, The Singing of Swans (Pearlsong Press 2006) was a 2007 Lambda Literary Awards Finalist. Her short story, "Vicky's Secret" earned the 2007 Glass Woman Prize. www.marysaracino.com


No comments:

Post a Comment